Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Truth

I walked Caleb out to his truck and finished unpacking another box so Shem could park his truck in the garage.
On my way back in to study she said, "Sit down. Tell me the truth. I know Mark's trying to make me live here with you and I'd rather kill myself than live with you."
I asked, "Why? Are we awful people?"
She said, "No. I don't want to interfere in your life."
I said, "You're not."
She said, "You're not telling the truth. Mark's trying to make me live with you."
"Mark's trying to fix your house. It needs new carpet, paint, roof, yard. That means it has to be empty to work on it."
"When can I go back?"
"When its finished."
"I can live there while they work on the yard."
"Mark's hiring a lot of people to work on your whole house. All at the same time."
"I don't think you're telling me the truth. I want the truth. What's going on? I've been suspicious for some time. And then I see my furniture here. I think you're forcing me to live here and I don't want to. I want to live by myself. Tell me the truth."
"You want the truth?"
"Yes."
"Okay...FOUR different doctors have tested you. They don't know each other. All of them said you have Alzheimer's Disease and that you need to live in a nursing home. You have four kids, two daughters-in-law, a son-in-law, and a bunch of grandchildren who would rather take you in than have you live in a nursing home. No one wants you to live in a nursing home."
"I can have someone come live with me."
"Mark hired four different people to live with you and you were mean to all of them. They refused to go back. Also, when you were living by yourself you were getting drunk every night. People were taking advantage of you. They were calling you and telling you that you owed them money. You spent a great deal of money on crap you bought off TV. You weren't taking care of your house. You weren't eating healthy until Libby came and started cooking for you. You weren't taking your medicine until Libby made you. Shaggy had shit all over him and was running all over your house. Your house was filthy and stunk. Tiger had a tumor that you didn't notice. You didn't look good at all. Sandy was letting you buy too much wine. Your face was swollen. You were out of control. Right now you look better than you have in a long time and it's because your family's taking care of you. You need to get better."
"I won't be mean. I'll cooperate. I'll change."
"Well, right now your home is being painted, carpeted, roofed, and the yard's being worked on. No one can live there. Mary said she noticed a real difference once Libby made you quit drinking all that alcohol."
"Who's Mary?"

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing at the end. I know this was a really hard talk to have with her, and fortunately/unfortunately, it's all probably left her brain by now. You did good, Mamma. I know it was hard for you, but I'm super impressed with your ability to lie!

    ReplyDelete