Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why is snarky necessary?

Okay. So I'm supposed to be studying and reading and reading and reading, but here I am verbalizing my frustration for ALL THE WORLD TO SEE. i'm famous. love it.

I got up super early and ran all my errands so I could get home to start this ocean of reading I have to do. I came in around noon, realizing Graham Cracker ate a couple of eggs and toast maybe an hour ago. I asked if she needed anything. As always, she showed me all the layers of clothes she has on plus gloves as she likes to sit by the window and look out, which makes her cold. (She's reading a Dan Brown book, Digital Fortress, for the second time, believing it's the first time. She just finished it last week... She must like reruns...)

All the hot air in the room, due to the fireplace, was pocketed up in the ceiling. I turned on the ceiling fan, which blows upward, causing the warm air to cascade down around her. She grabbed herself with a look of total fear in her eyes that she was going to freeze. I tried to explain that there was no air blowing down. "It blows up, moving the hot air out from this pocket of hot air so you can be warm."
"I know what I feel. It's cold!"
I held my hands out around me, trying to show her it was warm air. It was pointless. I turned off the fan saying, "Let me know if you need anything."

Pretty soon I heard her down the hall, "Bev, please forgive me. Do whatever you were going to do. Please forgive me." I told her, "No. You're in that room and you don't want the fan on." "Please turn it on. I'm so sorry."

I turned it on.

About 3:30 I was hungry so I got out the mac n cheese, planning on adding all kinds of stuff to it and splitting it with her.

"I just ate an orange and an apple. I tried to keep myself from being hungry."

She saw me fixing the mac n cheese.

"Are you going to share that?"

"Yes."

"Oh good, cuz I'm hungry."

She then did that thing she does where she dances around the topic without really saying what she wants, which, according to Libby, is passive aggressive.

Outside, I appeared angelic. Inside, I was fuming. I tell her every time I go into the kitchen, "If there's anything you need or if you're hungry, let me know." She doesn't. She approaches things with sarcasm or the passive aggressive: "I want you to feel guilty."

I gave her some food, then came into my room to study and think. When I was finished eating I went into the kitchen, "It's frustrating when I offer to fix you food or tell you to let me know if you need anything, that you don't say anything. We're happy to fix you food or do whatever you want, but we can't read your mind. You need to tell us."

She then began making fun of me, which I ignored.

Finally, she stated, "From now on I'll salute you and state, 'I am hungry.'"

Whatever.

Being nice to her doesn't seem to work.

Why does she have to be snarky? It's not the Alzheimer's, either. It's Alice AnnE Cunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment