Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Truckin' Grandma


I'm glad I found this picture. Right now I'm not in the mood to laugh, but this makes me laugh. We have to run to catch up with her!

Scenario: I'm making dinner. She's sitting in the kitchen.
"I have to talk to you. I'm going home. I don't care what you kids have planned. I'm going home. You and Shem are kind to me and I love you, but this isn't my home and I want to be home."
Unfortunately for me, I tried to be kind and reasonable on the outside while, on the inside, I was fuming with all the thoughts of how hard Mark and Mary and Shem have worked to get her in a place where she's safe and comfortable and loved. I'm thinking of how ungrateful she is, while not realizing it. On the outside, I was kind and somewhat reassuring that she's wanted here and loved and fed nourishing, balanced meals in a clean home. At a couple of points I asked what she would have done for her mother.
"I'd let her live where she wanted!"
Libby says I'm wrong to try to reason with her. I just needed to think like Alice in Wonderland, right?
It was really much more comfortable when I was studying my brains out, not having to deal with all the emotions.
We went to a conference all day with cousin Mary Sue about Alzheimer's Disease. The doctor said it's okay to drink. Let's raise our glasses to that doctor!

1 comment:

  1. Libby's right. You just need to nod your head and say "OK" when she tells you she's going home. Don't try and continue the conversation, don't ask follow up questions, just say "OK." She gets to feel like she told you what's what and you don't have to play battle of the wits with her.

    ReplyDelete